CMO directly reports to the Chief executive officer (CEO). CMO’s primary job is to generate revenue by increasing sales through successful campaigns and marketing tactics for the entire company. It includes the proper application of sound market research, pricing, brand marketing, effective marketing communications, advertising, and public relations.
CMO’s role can’t be exactly defined in a short span. It is expanded over different dimensions, i.e., sales management, new business development, product and brand development, distribution channel management, and esteemed customer service.
Roles and responsibilities of the CMO
An executive-level Chief Marketing Officer must be experienced in both analytical and creative traits. He/ she should have extensive knowledge of industry-level production, information technology, legal, and finance aspects. Some of the major roles and significant responsibilities that govern this particular role are as mentioned below:
Growth driving personality
- One of the critical roles of a CMO is to create and manage profitable growth for its company. It means the CMO needs to be a growth driver who identifies and rectifies the lacking between the ideal state and reality.
- CMO facilitates for company’s growth, sales, and winning marketing strategies. All forces should be inclined towards a single objective, i.e., revenue generation, cost reduction, or risk mitigation.
- It means the CMO should “Listen” to the latest market trends and direct the organization’s market research efforts.
- CMO creates a stable network of strategic partnerships for growth purposes.
- CMO’s role should be a customer champion to execute every successful marketing campaign.
- CMO should be keen to align the company’s structure around customer-centric policies. They need to use data and analytics wisely to deliver the best customer experiences and measurable business results.
- The power to accumulate and implement effective marketing capabilities are the significant traits of a successful CMO.
- CMO should function as a capability builder to lead the function’s reach across the business.
- He/ she should devise a compatible and feasible marketing plan for its department and oversee its day-to-day implementation.
Innovative thinking & storytelling
- CMO should be an out-of-the-box thinker. A person who can create breakthroughs with his/ her ideas.
- Innovative thinking plays a role of catalyst in a CMO’s job role and the wise usage of data and due intelligence towards the advancement of growth agenda.
- CMO should know how to disseminate the news about their companies’ products and invite customers to participate in the narrative.
- A good storytelling attribute is a must for CMO to promote brand relevance and consistency.
- CMO would design and collaborate promotional campaigns, PR, and other marketing efforts across every seamless channel, whether digital or press, etc.
As marketing decisions vary in different organizations and most-importantly take place in real-time, that’s why CMO’s job role is likely to become even more complicated. Successful business results will depend on CMO’s attributes, who are prepared to perform multiple functions to help drive their organizations to success.
Other interesting articles
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
- Chief Operator Officer (COO)
- Chief Commercial Officer (CCO)
- Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
- Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO)
- Chief Information Officer (CIO)
- Chief Purchasing Officer (CPO)
- Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
- Chief Sales Officer (CSO)
- Chief Risk Officer (CRO)
- Chief Legal Officer (CLO)