Not every email is interesting enough to read. A lot of people’s email will look like the picture above. Completely full of unread emails. This can look really disorganized and this could have big disadvantages.
Imagine you are working for your business and you read your email. All of a sudden you find an email with a business offer that you missed several weeks ago. This would make you feel horrible.
An unorganized mail inbox can cause you to miss business offers or other important mails.
So how can you fix an unorganised mail inbox? A way to fix this is by marking all mails as read.
Want to know more about the effects that an unorganized mail inbox can have? Check this article: What is Your Disorganized Email Inbox Costing You?
How to mark all emails as read in Gmail?
- Step 1. Login to your Gmail account.
- Step 2. Type “label:inbox is:unread” in the searchbar.
- Step 3. Click the select all option.
- Step 4. Click on “Select all conversations that match this search”.
- Step 5. Click on “Mark as read”.
- Step 6. Click on “OK”. (This step is only required if you have a lot of emails.)
You have now marked all emails as read in Gmail! Our tip is to mark all emails as read every month, this will ensure that your inbox is always organized and easy to look through.
Important: Make sure you read all the emails that are important, before you mark all as read.
Set emails as read in Gmail on mobile?
It is not possible to mark all emails as read on iPhone, iPad or any other mobile device in the Gmail mobile app. However, you can still mark single emails as read from any mobile device. Here is a guide on how to mark an email as read with the Gmail mobile app:
- Step 1. Open the Gmail app and login to your account.
- Step 2. Tap the image next to the mail you want to mark as read.
- Step 3. Mark as read by clicking here.
Put all emails as read in Outlook?
Now that we know how to mark all emails as read in Gmail, we can also show you how to do this in Outlook. Outlook is a tiny bit different compared to Gmail, but overall, it is fairly similar in the method that we will show.
- Step 1. Login to your Outlook.
- Step 2. Click on “Mark all emails as read”.
- Step 3. Click “OK”.
Congratulations, you now know how to read all emails without actually reading them!
But remember, before cleaning up your inbox, you need to look if you have read every important email.
Having an organized email will help you stay focused whilst looking through emails. However, this won’t stay for a long time if you don’t do this more often. Try to clean your mail inbox every once in a while.
Marking all emails as read in the Outlook mobile app
Unlike the Gmail mobile app, in the Outlook mobile app it is possible to mark all emails as read.
Let’s look at the steps on how to mark all emails as read in the Outlook mobile app. (Useful for iPhone, iPad and IOS.)
- Step 1. Open the Outlook app and login to your account.
- Step 2. Select any mail by holding the mail down.
- Step 3. Click the 3 buttons in the top-right corner and click “select all” from the dropdown menu.
- Step 4. Click the 3 buttons again and click on “Mark as read”.
Well-done! You now know how to mark all emails as read in Gmail & Outlook on iPhone, iPad, IOS and desktop.
Recommended articles: How to create a live.com email address? Follow this step by step guide with images!